Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Swears

The following is a repost of friend, and KISW Radio DJ's recent blog in regards to the movie Kick-Ass:

BJ’s Blog 04/13/10 “Kick Ass”
Posted in: BJ
Last week we got to see a screening of the new movie Kick Ass and we were all extremely impressed by the movie.

Critics are upset that Chloe Grace Moretz, who played the 11 year old super hero Hit Girl, used such offensive language including the c-word and the f-word.

Actor Aaron Johnson, who played the lead role in this movie as Kick Ass, shot back at the critics saying, “The controversy is bizarre because we put an R rating on this movie; a certificate that says this is what this content is. I mean, on the radio you have Rhianna playing where it’s like, ‘Come on rude boy can you get it up/Are you big enough?/Come on take it, take it; that’s what love is…’ – there’s eight-year-old girls singing songs like that! I think that’s more controversial than something like Kick-Ass.”

I completely agree with Aaron; there are worse things out there that children are being exposed to every day, and yet people are getting mad that an actress did her job.

Chloe even admitted she wouldn’t get away with that kind of language at home, and that she calls the movie “Kick-Butt” at her house. It shows that her parents are actually being responsible with her.

When it comes down to it, it’s not about the words they are saying, it’s about children knowing the difference between respect and disrespect.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bravo, BJ, Bravo!

For those who don't know, I met BJ Shea a few years back when he invited me onto his radio show for opening day for the Mariners as his guests were Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and Edgar Wright. I had just finished my Shaun of the Dead tattoo and was so proud of Michelle's work (from Silverdale Lucky Boys Tattoo parlor) that I had to show it off.


I've since reunited with BJ when he was at Emerald City Comic Con, and I have a huge respect for this guy...even if I don't completely agree with everything he says, I will always listen to what he has to say.

So I thought I would share his most recent blog before I fly out the door to get my son from school (UPDATE: I LOCKED MY KEYS IN THE CAR! DOH!)
and then share my response as follows:

-----------------------

Ah yes…the swears that we, as kids, have heard…

I remember watching the movie Stand By Me as a kid and hearing the swears. Hoping my parents wouldn’t catch me watching it…and the J.J. Fad song I heard in 3rd grade telling people, “just to stay the hell back”!

My parents would have rather heard us listening to it so they would be able to talk about it with us.

I was confusing them with our neighbor’s fundamental christian parents who found my Adam Sandler “They’re all gonna laugh at you” CD with it’s Parental Advisory warning, in the hands of their kids and either broke it or bon fired it in a hokey sacrifice praying for my salvation. (Don’t bother…I’m doomed)

As a parent myself, I now know that my parents didn’t care if I heard swears…which is why I pass on to my own children the ability to hear swears and teach them not to use them at innappropriate times. It’s the best thing you can do for your kids.

Even my youngest son(9yrs old tomorrow) who is autistic (fer cryin out loud) can be taught the concept of innappropriate words and how not to use them. He loves Bender the robot from Futurama, and repeats quotes all the time omitting swears by saying what I say to those worry-wart parents, “Bite my shiny metal BUTT!”

My Best,
Nerd Rage

1 comment:

  1. So I found your blog on accident. But it's okay, because I like it. And I like the derby. I remember you. Update your blog.

    ReplyDelete